Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Watermelon Race

This work of art created by Palmer Hayden titled "The Watermelon Race," stood out to me the most, especially as an African American. Palmer Hayden was one of the more controversial painters associated with the Harlem Renaissance, the boom of Black American culture that began in the 1920s. Hayden frequently referred to African American folklore in many of his artistic expressions, at times creating critics that believed that they played into racist stereotypes. During the 1920's, this may have been an acceptable portrait and a reflection of what lower class blacks did for fun. I think Hayden intended on creating it for just that purpose, and for the audience of African Americans. Unfortunately, this image today, I feel is a very derogatory piece that portrays blacks in negative stereotype. It's very sad that we are frowned upon and constantly associated with these type of images because they are a part of our culture that we should be able to embrace, and not cower in shame of. This is a very nice illustration for its time, very powerful to me as a part of my background. Palmer Hayden used great color and attention to detail in the painting that draws my attention. Of his works I have seen, this is in my eyes one of his best, and definitely a favorite of mine.


1 comment:

  1. I like the way you included some historical information along with your opinions about this painting. Good blog.

    ReplyDelete